canary islands

Fred. Olsen Express: more than 3 million passengers in 2022

The ferry company made 19,500 trips during the year, 30% more than in 2021. 17% of the passengers, more than 500,000, were non-residents, reflecting the recovery of foreign tourism in inter-island travel.

Fred. Olsen Express regains pre-pandemic passenger levels in 2022 with an average of 9,000 passengers per day. More than 3 million people, 3,275,000 to be precise, chose the ferry company last year to travel mainly between islands, which is 25% more than in 2021.


Of the total number of passengers, 83% were Canary Island residents, while the remaining 17% (some 550,000) were non-residents, reflecting the recovery of foreign tourism also in inter-island travel. In total, the company made 19,500 trips last year, 30% more than in 2021. In addition, the carrier has moved more than one million vehicles, both passenger cars and freight, which represents a 15% growth compared to the previous year, being of particular importance for the cohesion of the archipelago.

According to the fleet director of Fred. Olsen Express fleet manager, Juan Ignacio Liaño, “this year’s figures represent a positive balance of growth and a return to pre-pandemic figures. At Fred. Olsen Express we are very satisfied and grateful to the more than 3 million passengers who have chosen us to travel between islands. Their trust encourages us to continue innovating to offer the best proposal in terms of comfort and flexibility in maritime connectivity in the archipelago”.

Improvement on all routes

Although all have experienced positive growth during 2022, the Trimaran route between Gran Canaria and Tenerife is the most in demand, thanks to the two new trimarans that were incorporated between 2020 and 2021 and which have made the journey more comfortable for more than one million passengers and the 300,000 vehicles that have opted for this route this year.

In addition, after a period of inactivity due to the decline in tourism due to the pandemic, the coastal route to La Gomera, which covers the southern part of the island, has been recovered. The Lanzarote – Fuerteventura route has also experienced strong growth thanks to the incorporation of a new ship in April. For its part, the Huelva route has now been in service for four years in collaboration with Baleària.

Scroll to Top