tourism

Tourists behind the wheel of 7% of cars in Tenerife’s traffic jams

Amidst Tenerife's traffic woes, the Vice-President of the Island Council urges improved bus services, Arona's Mayor highlights public transport issues, and CEST advocates for expedited construction projects.

In Tenerife, only 7% of the peak hour traffic congestion is attributed to tourists driving rental cars, with the remaining 93% being local residents. The Vice President of the Island Council, Lope Afonso, shared these statistics at the recent DIARIO DE AVISOS Foundation Meeting Point. He discussed the island’s traffic issues, noting that with 840 cars per thousand inhabitants, 80% of journeys are made using private vehicles.


Afonso suggested reducing travel demand as part of the solution, emphasizing the need for better and more frequent bus usage. The Island Council aims to increase bus passengers from 6% to 15% by the end of their term. He mentioned initiatives like the protocol with Ashotel for planned mobility in high-density areas like Costa Adeje and decentralizing services to make administrative procedures more accessible for south and north island residents.

Tourists behind the wheel of 7% of cars in Tenerife's traffic jams

Arona’s Mayor, Fátima Lemes, emphasized collaboration with the Island Council and announced the formation of a Transport and Mobility Committee. She criticized the current public transport system for not meeting the needs of dispersed territories and called for immediate action while major road projects progress. Lemes also sought solutions for goods traffic and potential alternatives involving the port of Granadilla.

Javier Cabrera, President of the Círculo de Empresarios y Profesionales del Sur de Tenerife (CEST), urged the swift commencement of awarded projects like the TF-1 tunnel between Playa de Las Américas and Fañabé. He advocated for starting the third lane work between San Isidro and Los Cristianos, particularly from Oroteanda to Los Cristianos, to alleviate bottlenecks. Cabrera called for practical measures to address the current traffic collapse while awaiting major road infrastructure completion.


Scroll to Top