The calima is expected to persist on Tuesday until midday, particularly affecting the southern parts of the islands, but is forecast to diminish throughout the afternoon, as per the Aemet‘s prediction.
Maritime conditions will vary, with wind speeds ranging from 1 to 4, except in the southeast where it will be 3 to 5 on the west coast and the far south in the afternoon. In the early morning, the northeast will experience winds of 3 to 5 offshore in the northwest, and 2 to 4 in the southeast starting from the night.
The sea state will see a decrease from swell to rip or swell on the west coast and far south, with rip or swell conditions prevailing elsewhere. This will transition to an increase to swell offshore in the north and the far northeast, with a north swell of 1 metre rising to 2 metres.
Island-specific forecasts include:
- Lanzarote: Predominantly clear skies with occasional high clouds. The calima will diminish by day’s end, with a slight increase in maximum temperatures and minimal changes in the minimum temperatures. Moderate east winds in the morning, strengthening in inland areas and on western slopes, will ease and shift to northeast in the afternoon.
- Fuerteventura: Similar conditions with clear skies and intermittent high clouds. The calima will also recede by the end of the day. Temperatures will remain relatively stable. Expect moderate east winds that will become strong in the morning, especially in inland areas and on the western slopes, before easing and turning northeast in the afternoon.
- Gran Canaria: The island will experience generally clear skies with periods of high clouds. The calima will ease towards the evening, with temperatures seeing little variation. Winds will be moderate from the southeast, with stronger gusts on northeastern and southwestern slopes in the morning, becoming east in the afternoon.
- Tenerife: The day will start with generally clear skies and periods of high clouds, with the calima more pronounced on the southern slopes during the first half of the day. Temperatures will see little change. Winds will be light to moderate from the east, with stronger gusts during the central hours on the southern slopes and in the early and late hours north of Anaga, along with breezes on the northwest coast.
- La Gomera: Expect clear skies with occasional high clouds in the first half of the day and more noticeable calima on the southern slopes during this time. Temperatures will remain steady, with light winds shifting from variable directions in the early morning to moderate southeast winds during the day, intensifying on summits and northeastern and southwestern slopes before easing at day’s end.
- La Palma: The forecast is for generally clear skies with intervals of high clouds in the first half of the day and significant calima on the southern slopes. Maximum temperatures will remain stable, with minimum temperatures unchanged or slightly decreasing. Light to moderate easterly winds, with coastal breezes on the west coast.
- El Hierro: The island will have clear skies with occasional high clouds in the morning and pronounced calima on the southern slopes. Temperatures will be stable, with moderate easterly winds and stronger gusts in the extreme south and northwest.